People in parts of Lancashire, including South Ribble and Mawdesley, have now taken legal action against water supplier United Utilities after water was found to contain cryptosporidium, which is one of the biggest causes of food poisoning in this country.

Residents were told to boil tap water for three weeks after the bacteria was discovered, bacteria that can cause cramps, diarrhoea and vomiting, the Southport Visiter reports.

Irwin Mitchell has now been instructed to act on behalf of a group of customers who fell ill during the water contamination scandal back in August 2015. The group includes a three-year-old boy who succumbed as a toddler after drinking some tap water.

Partner at the law firm and public health specialist Amandeep Dhillon was quoted by the news source as saying: “Drinking unsafe water can have a profound effect on a person’s health and can cause long-term issues, from which some victims may never fully recover. Protecting the general public from outbreaks like these should be the main priority for those involved.”

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are home water filters that can remove this bacteria from your tap water but some are better than others. Look out for a filter that comes with the words ‘reverse osmosis’ on the label. You should also find a filter that has a pore size of one micron or less as this will remove microbes that are one micron or greater in diameter.

However, even with these filters if you’re advised to boil your tap water by an official body you should certainly do so to be on the safe side.

Call us today if you’re looking for water softener services in Beaconsfield.